Image Map

Fitness Before and After: 8 Months of Crossfit

07 October 2013


I'm 8 months and 105 classes into my Crossfit journey.  The first four months were characterized by rapid weight loss, noticeable muscle gain & definition, and establishing many personal records (PR's.)  My second four months have brought more subtle changes.  I don't think my body has changed nearly as dramatically, and while I'm still smashing PR's, I can see that I'm starting to find my true max weights for each lift.  To me, this second eight months has been more about an overall increase in fitness, and accomplishing some larger goals.

Before I elaborate, if you missed my posts about starting this fitness journey, and my results after 4 months, you can find them here:

Why I decided to get in shape
My results after 4 months of Crossfit

So let's start with the most exciting stuff first....

I can finally do a pull-up!!!  You'll remember from this post that I'd been feverishly working toward this goal.

I used to have to do pull-ups using a band, like this:

after seeing this picture, I promptly stopped working out in t-shirts.  Goodbye pit stains, hello tank tops.

Now I can do a few strict pull-ups without bands.

I don't have any "real" pull-up pictures from the gym...
so use your imagination :)

My second exciting accomplishment is the progress I've made doing double unders (jump rope where the rope passes under your feet twice in a single jump.)  I made a fancy video for you.



And because it can be difficult to see what's going on, my husband also filmed it in slow motion {how cool!}



Not long ago, I could only do about 5 in a row.  Between practicing and getting some good advice from a Crossfit Los Cabos coach, I've had a breakthrough and my new PR is 30 double unders, unbroken.

Other PR's
Back squat: 135lbs (from May 24)
Bench press: 95 lbs (from Sept 21)
Clean: 95 lbs (from June 10)
Deadlift: 180 lbs (from Aug 19)
Front Squat: 105 lbs (from Jul 23)
Snatch: 65 lbs (from Oct 4)
Split Jerk: 95 lbs (from Sep 18)
Thruster: 100 lbs (from Sept 3)

**we do variations of these lifts, as well as others...but this a good representation.  
also, we don't always lift for a 1-rep max, which is why some of the PR's are pretty old.

Lastly, here's how I look in a side by side comparison.

I think my 4 month and 8 month pics look nearly identical.
So perhaps I should stop doing side-by-sides until I have a six pack..haha!



I feel awesome and, more importantly, I really love it!  I have fun working out and enjoy the variety of workouts that each day brings.  Also, our gym does fun challenges like this month's "No Bread Challenge" to promote healthier eating.

I look forward to sharing my progress in another four months.

Day 1 of our 3,000 burpee challenge.  I did 100 burpees per day for the month of August!

Do you have any Crossfit questions?
Is there anything you'd like me to share?

10 comments:

  1. You are so inspiring :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are my favorite sweaty beast! Get it, BBFF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOLY SHIT! I. am. so. impressed. I'm sure you get this a lot, but you never looked out of shape. Now your look like a ninja warrior woman! I've never really thought much about crossfit until reading this post. Have you had any injuries? Some parts of my body are pretty tweaked from surfing. I think if I actually worked other muscles, it might be better, but last year I started doing gymnastics again and I hurt my knee. So then I stopped. Anyways, I'm curious about how long the class is and what they make you do. Do they give you your own custom workout? How many days a week do you go? How much does it cost? So many questions! You've got me intrigued and very, very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is impressive! Congrats on being so persistent and getting these amazing results!
    We're in the very beginning of our healthy journey, just started whole30 a few days ago, and now are getting interested in crossfit and other active habits. You're so inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVED reading this! I've been so curious about cross fit lately, I've been hearing AMAZING things! I am dying to try it now.
    And look at the transformation! SO AWESOME! It feels GOOD to be strong, doesn't it? Just yesterday I did 30 push ups and I know I could have done more! It didn't hit me until I finished them how far I've come. I remember the first time I attempted a push up after having my baby and I couldn't even come close to doing it! Realizing the progress we've made is the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So my comment doesn't have much to do with your post (but you're extremely impressive by the way!) I actually wanted to tell you THANK YOU again for telling me about that book The War of Art. I've spent all day reading it and I feel like it was written just for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. TBH I think you look much better and more feminine and curvey in the first pic at 145LBS, Your boobs are all but gone and your body looks quite boyish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dang I just noticed you beat me to the pull-up haha I hope it's ok but I was using you as my "rabbit" to help me be able to do it faster. Race you for a six pack ;) ?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and love!
Every comment makes me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...