Image Map

Recipe Love

12 March 2012

You should know that I'm not a great cook.  Somehow, I made it to adulthood with a love for eating, and a loathe for cooking.  Naturally, that's a problem.  For my waistline and my pocketbook.  When we lived in SoCal, we probably ate out or ordered in four nights a week.  Not only that, I was hosting tons of work dinners at fancy places where they make brussel spouts melt into a buttery puddle of deliciousness on your tongue.

So when we moved to Sydney, we decided to make some positive changes.  Going from two incomes to one would require it of us, and we knew we'd be healthier for it.  In the last 10 months, I'm happy to report that we're averaging 2-3 restaurant meals per month.  Much, much better.

However, we are still working on finding recipes that we both like {I'm vegetarian, he's not.  I like mild.  He loves spicy.  I could live off fruit.  He's never eaten a banana...or pineapple...or grapes....or strawberries.}

Here's one I found recently that we both agreed was a winner.



Of course, I didn't follow the recipe exactly.  I added lots more zucchini, and mushrooms, and black olives {the one ingredient that hubby and I both *love* in everything.}  I also used less pasta.  When I make it again, I'll add even more veggies and even less pasta.

However, this recipe is pretty fool-proof and delicious.



Of course the cheese burnt.  I had the heat 15 degrees lower *and* it had only cooked for 1/3 of the time.  Our oven is seriously possessed!  But it was still oh-so-tasty :)

  1. Boil pasta.
  2. Chop up lots of zucchini (5+) and pan-fry them in a little olive oil.  Add mushrooms with just a few minutes to go.
  3. Once pasta and veggies are cooked, put them in a baking dish and mix 'em up.
  4. Add lots of cheese (we used 3-cheese for pizzas...moz, parm, and ???)
  5. Bake for 10ish minutes or until cheese is melted.
  6. Enjoy the deliciousness!

Happy Monday, peeps!  Mine was very good--had a great day in the field with my boss.  I'm thinking maybe he was my lucky charm.  The day involved a customer of mine, who is quite elderly and a very senior doctor, flipping the bird to the car behind me.  The car was upset because I was stopped to talk to said doctor, and was, thus, blocking his way into the parking lot.  It might have been the oddest, AND awesomest {is that a word?} sales call ever.

P.S. Hubby and I have tickets to the opening night of Hunger Games in Sydney.  Woop.Woop.

P.S.S. Let's be friends outside the blog.  We can be Twitter friends or Facebook buddies.  Whaddya say?

13 comments:

  1. This looks really yummy. I think I'll try it out tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! The cheese!!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good girl! More recipes! We've done the same thing, but it's much easier for us, because we're both vegetarian. We don't buy any meat. At all. Ever. <-- Was that clear enough? ;-)

    I'll have to try this recipe and share some of our favorites (though we really just live off of four rotating recipes)!

    I'm happy for your sales call! AND I feel special that we're not only blog friends, Twitter friends, and FB friends, but also BBFFs and BSMs. BAM. Take that.

    Happy Tuesday morning to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1.) I can NEVER follow a recipe! I think this is why I prefer cooking over baking - I feel like there is a lot more wiggle room to improvise.
    2.) That fact that you are seeing the Hunger Games opening night in SYDNEY makes me more than a little jealous. I'm almost just plain mad at you.
    There. I said it.
    3.) I cited you on today's post regarding word verification. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. O this does look good, but man do you have your hands full with those taste differences between you and hubby!

    PS I am insanely jealous of your hunger games tickets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One word ... YUM!

    Delighted to stumble over here today. I hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit to get to know you. This looks like a refreshing place to dip my toes in goodness.

    Splashin,
    Sarah

    http://justsarahdawn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Em ... no worries. Sometimes I like to hop around blog land and splash people with encouragement. I don't expect people to comment on my comments, but rather to simply smile.

    Thanks for sharing though ...

    Happy day,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that looks delicious! And I can't wait for The Hunger Games!!! Yessss! I'm so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Currently cooking something similar (add some carrots and onions and spices) with pizza cheese and mozzarella. It's so simple yet sooo tasty :)

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Currently cooking something similar (add some carrots and onions and spices) with pizza cheese and mozzarella. It's so simple yet sooo tasty :)

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm totally going to try this! It looks delicious! Scott loves lasagna so this would be right up his alley. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks DELISH! Blake and I made the switch to start eating more organically/healthier this year as well. Having two incomes DEFINITELY makes things easier. I'll try and think of some recipes that Blake and I enjoy together. Health is a wealth worth sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks SO GOOD! :) New follower here! I found you through Lindsay of TBS! :) Can't wait to follow along!

    Breanna
    http://therushfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and love!
Every comment makes me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...